Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Plastic Bag Paradox

I have reached a very strange point in my American life: For the first time ever, I have run out of plastic trash bags.

I am the only person I know to have this dilemma.

Luckily every single other person I know has WAY TOO MANY trash bags!

I got here two ways: by hardly ever using bags when I go to stores, by tossing any that had holes in them, and by living alone and having two small trash cans, both of which were sized for small bags. I'm particular about trash and dirt, therefore empty my bins fairly often instead of shoving more and more trash into them. My trash can is only a few steps from my front door, too.

I fold up my plastic bags so they take up less space and don't all fall out in a giant clump when I reach into a pile of them. I fold them like you might have folded paper footballs in school- several vertical folds, then rolling up at angles until you had a triangular packet. Does it take time? Yes. Is that time balanced by what I would waste if I have to shove a pile of trash bags back everytime I took one out, AND by replacing/doubling a bag whenever it leaks (plus washing out the bin)? Yes and yes!


On the other hand I pretty much never put my sewing stuff away properly and have boxes of fabric and tshirts- some that date going back years now- that I am just not getting rid of. Girl's gotta balance out.

No comments:

Post a Comment